The track consists of a closed off highway in a figure-8 shape. A few parking spaces along the edge have a line of Item Boxes, so those supply really well. At one point in the middle, the track droops slowly so that the bridge can pass over it. Sounds easy enough, right? No, it is crowded with traffic, and even just slightly tapping a vehicle will send you into the air. Also, they can be very unmerciful, as you can keep hitting them over and over again, like the Rainbow Thwomps on SNES Rainbow Road.
If this track is played on the unlockable Extra Mode, the difficulty level peaks; the cars now come straight at racers, so quick reflexes are needed. This also prevents the possibility of cutting any corners, unless there just happens to be no traffic.
Even on normal Grand Prix, the cars are a constant nuisance and can turn around races quickly if racers are unfortunate enough to get caught in the traffic, and as such, despite its placement in only the second cup of the game, it is often considered one of the most difficult tracks in the game.
Toad's Turnpike returns in Mario Kart 8 as the final course of the retro Shell Cup. It still retains the basic premise of a figure-8, but with some added features/vehicles. Throughout most of the turning sections, Anti-gravitational pads are added to the walls, which are equipped with Dash Panels. There are now also vehicles with Glide Panels on their backs, ramp-equipped trucks that can extend flight, cars carrying small ramps that allow for Tricking, and the vehicles from the original have been replaced with more modern ones with character and cup advertisements. It used to be a playable stage in Balloon Battle, but was removed in the Deluxe version.
- Keep an eye out for a truck with a Gliding ramp just before going under the highway. Glide high to pass right over the entire highway. ✱ for MK8
Mario Kart Trivia
- This course was the first Mario Kart course to feature traffic as the main obstacle. Most Mario Kart games after this one have a traffic course in it. Mario Kart: Double Dash has two.
- The vehicles will not honk their horns in 50cc.
- In Mario Kart 8, one of the advertisements seen on the billboards is a radio frequency, which is 64MHz, a reference to the course's origins.
- Neo Bowser City's soundtrack is a remix of Toad's Turnpike.
DS Cheep Cheep Beach
Recently reappeared in:
Mario Kart 8
GCN Dry Dry Desert
|Nitro cups||Mushroom Cup||Luigi Raceway • Moo Moo Farm • Koopa Troopa Beach • Kalimari Desert|
|Flower Cup||Toad's Turnpike • Frappe Snowland • Choco Mountain • Mario Raceway|
|Star Cup||Wario Stadium • Sherbet Land • Royal Raceway • Bowser's Castle|
|Special Cup||DK's Jungle Parkway • Yoshi Valley • Banshee Boardwalk • Rainbow Road|
|Battle Courses||Big Donut • Block Fort • Double Deck • Skyscraper|