| Have an image of this item?|
Then please upload it!
"Star" redirects here. If you were looking for the type of ranking, see Star Ranks.
A Starman is a rare item in the Mario Kart series. When you're behind in a race these miracles will appear and if you get one you will be temporarily invincible. Your speed will also increase helping you catch up with other drivers. If you make impact with another kart they will be knocked over. In Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, the rear character will be knocked off the kart. Upbeat music will play as you use it, and your kart will flash rainbow (or yellow if in Double Dash!!). While the Starman is a useful item, it is usually only given to characters who are in sixth place and below when they contact the item box.
Storing the Star can be a good defensive tactic as well, firing it off when incoming shells and POW blocks are on the verge of impact. The Star's speed boost makes it a viable means of reaching off-road ramps and shortcuts too though. See the Circuit Guide later on for specific locations of these.
- If you collide with the boat in DK's Jungle Parkway in Mario Kart 64 while you have a Star, you will still get hit before plunging into the water. This also applies to the Boo item.
- This item lasts the longest amount of time in Mario Kart 64 (effect remains about a second after the blinking stops) and lasts the shortest amount of time in Mario Kart: Super Circuit (the song barely starts its third repetition).
- They can hit anything out of your way and defend from anything, even Spiny Shells.
- If you hit a Bullet Bill with a Star, the Bullet Bill will be pushed aside.
- In Mario Kart DS an item box in DK Pass will always give you a Star, Mushroom or Triple Mushroom.