Mirror Mode is an unlockable engine class in Mario Kart 64 and every iteration of Mario Kart since Double Dash!! It is an unlockable mode that varies in description and play experience per game. Beating it is usually vital to acquire all unlockables in the game, as the rewards for some of these cups include high-end bikes, karts, parts, or characters. They also Use Rubber Band AI.
Mario Kart 64
Mirror Mode makes its debut in 64, here known as the "Extra" mode. Unlike other versions of Mario Kart that would follow, 64's Extra mode reversed all courses instead of flipping them horizontally. This made for a challenge compared to the other cups alongside its already advanced 150cc engine setting. This is very similar to Mario Kart: Double Dash!!'s unused Reverse Cup.
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
In this iteration, the course will be flipped horizontally (for example, left turns would now be right turns, and vice versa.) This tradition would follow for all subsequent games. The unlock criteria differs from game to game:
- In Double Dash!!, players unlock Mirror Mode by successfully completing the 150cc All Cup Tour.
- In DS, players unlock Mirror Mode by getting getting 1st place in the 150cc Lightning Cup.
- In Wii, players unlock Mirror Mode by getting gold trophies in all 150cc cups.
- In 7, players unlock Mirror Mode by getting gold trophies in all cups on the 150cc class.
- In 8, players could unlock Mirror Mode by getting gold trophies in 150cc. Following the Version 4.1 update released on May 1, 2015, though, Mirror Mode is now available by default.
- In 8 Deluxe, Mirror Mode is available from default in all versions.