Miiverse is a software available for the Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, and Nintendo 3DS variant consoles. This program allows people to post screenshots and communicate with other gamers... basically, it's a social network site for video games.
In order to set up an account, you must first get a Nintendo Network ID.
On November 7th, 2017, Miiverse is set to permanently close.
Miiverse is a social website for players, using Miis as profile avatars. You can join certain communities (different games) and post comments on them, screenshots, post Stamps (Stamps were not always accessible, but thanks to an update, they are now), and add drawings. Other users can "Yeah" your post (basically a "Like" as on Facebook) and comment on it, too. You can follow other users to see their post and send and receive friend requests.
On August 29th, 2017, Miiverse was announced to end on November 7th, 2017 at 10:00 pm. User with linked Nintendo accounts can request to download their posts until the end date. There is no replacement for Miiverse on the Nintendo Switch as of yet, but the actual replacements for Miiverse are Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and other social websites.
This announcement has not been given an explanation yet, and many Miiverse fans are currently asking for a reversal of this decision. However, Nintendo has not and probably won't respond to any pleas.
- It wasn't able to be used for the Nintendo 3DS, until a update came that allowed players to finally post Miiverse posts on Nintendo 3DS games, such as Mario Kart 7.
- Attempting to boot it up without a Nintendo Network ID will trigger a message telling you that you need to make one to use the service.
- In Mario Kart 8, players can upload videos of their races to Miiverse (However you will need a Google account). This feature was removed in the Nintendo Switch port, due to Miiverse not being on the Nintendo Switch.
- Miiverse was also used for making online tournaments, that other players can enter. The tournaments were all cancelled or scrapped due to Miiverse not being on the Nintendo Switch.
- The administrators on Miiverse are widely criticized by the users as being overly harsh and power-abusive. A lot of people in protest have been getting banned recently.