Mario Kart 7 (styled as MARIOKART7 and commonly abbreviated as MK7) is a Mario based racing game exclusively made for the Nintendo 3DS (can be played on 2DS though). It is the seventh Mario Kart game in the series, (ninth including the arcade games) and the third for a handheld console. Returning from Mario Kart Wii, players are able to exchange Ghost Data and play online or wirelessly on multiplayer mode. Mario Kart 7 introduces a few new features to the tracks, including Blue Boosters (which trigger Gliding sections) and underwater turbines specifically made for underwater racing. This game introduces kart customization as well, allowing players to toggle parts on their karts to fit their preferences.
- There are three new items: The Fire Flower, the Lucky 7, and the Super Leaf.
- You can now unlock wheels, gliders, and frames to build your own kart.
- After going over a Blue Booster (or a Blue Mushroom in Wii Mushroom Gorge), you will activate a Glider. The glider makes you glide through the air for a certain amount of time.
- You can drive underwater in most tracks (for example, you will drown in Daisy Hills, but not in Cheep Cheep Lagoon).
- Last place (8th) now receives a point.
- You can race in a first-person perspective. *
- The race timer is now exclusive to Time Trials.
- Metal Mario, Wiggler, Shy Guy, Honey Queen, and Lakitu are now playable. (Shy Guy was actually playable in Mario Kart DS, only in Download Play.)
* Exclusive to this game.
- Coins return in Racing mode after an absence since Mario Kart: Super Circuit. However, players can only collect a maximum of 10 at a time.
- The Super Mini-Turbo returns from Mario Kart Wii, which is done by drifting until the sparks turn orange and gets a more powerful boost.
- The Spiny Shell returns to its wingless form, just like its first two appearances.
- Tricks return from Mario Kart Wii, as well as the character icons.
- Bikes are not usable in this game due to system limitations, because of their popularity.
- The race is back to eight racers due to space limitations.
- The single-player VS Race is removed for unknown reasons, an omission that many fans feel reduce the game's replayability.
- Waluigi was not included as a playable character, but his course is featured as a Retro Track. However, he was planned to appear beforehand.
- Speaking of not being included, Toadette another character who was originally planned to appear wasn't included as a playable character too.
- The Fake Item Box from the previous games is absent but was initially planned.
- The POW Block, Thunder Cloud, and Mega Mushroom from Mario Kart Wii are all absent.
|Circle Pad||Steer (left and right), Shoot item forward/backward (up and down)|
|A/Y||Gas (Press and hold during the countdown = Rocket Start)|
|R||Jump (R + 'Circle Pad = Mini-Turbo)|
|Touch screen||Switch between outlined and detailed map (visible on the Touch Screen)|
|D-Pad||Switch to first-person view (up when in normal view); switch back to normal view (left, right and down when in first-person view)|
|Name||Weight||How to unlock|
|Daisy||Light||Win the 150cc Mushroom Cup|
|Wario||Heavy||Win the 150cc Flower Cup|
|Rosalina||Cruiser||Win the 150cc Star Cup|
|Metal Mario||Heavy||Win the 150cc Special Cup|
|Shy Guy||Feather||Win the 150cc Shell Cup|
|Honey Queen||Heavy||Win the 150cc Banana Cup|
|Wiggler||Cruiser||Win the 150cc Leaf Cup|
|Lakitu||Feather||Win the 150cc Lightning Cup|
|Mii||Medium||Win all cups of any class|
|Item Box||Gives you an item when you pass through it.|
|Coin||Collecting coins increase the top speed of your car (you can collect a maximum of 10, also in Coin Runners).|
|Banana||Karts that run over a banana will spin out. They can be thrown forward or dropped behind your kart.|
|Triple Bananas||Gives you three bananas that trail behind your kart. You don't need to hold the X- or L-button to hold them.|
|Green Shell||Travels in a straight line and knocks over the first kart it hits. Breaks after hitting obstacles too many times.|
|Triple Green Shells||Three Green Shells that spin around your kart. You will shoot one at a time, and they are able to be shot forward or behind. They can also guard your kart against shells if you have them on your back.|
|Red Shell||Fires at the kart in front of you, according to the track. When shot backward, it will follow a straight line. Breaks after contact.|
|Triple Red Shells||Three Red Shells, the stats are the same for Triple Green Shells.|
|Spiny Shell||Hovers over to the first place and explodes. It will topple any kart in it's path, but not explode. They can be diffused by a well-timed Bob-omb, or be escaped with a mushroom.|
|Bob-omb||Will explode when thrown or dropped, knocking over any kart in its blast radius. The only item that can stop a Spiny Shell. When released, it will throw itself forward, unlike the Banana Peels.|
|Mushroom||Provides your kart with a small speed boost.|
|Triple Mushrooms||Provides your kart with three separate speed boosts.|
|Golden Mushroom||Gives you a speed boost whenever you press L or X, but only for 7.5 seconds.|
|Bullet Bill||Transforms you into a Bullet Bill and knocks over the karts in the front.|
|Blooper||Sprays ink on all the karts ahead of you and reduces their visibility.|
|Lightning||Causes all opponents to shrink in size. They drop their items and slow down, and the time it takes to grow back to normal size depends on your position. A fully-grown racer can squish a small racer.|
|Star||Increases your speed for a short time. It will keep you safe from everything, including Spiny Shells, Lightning|
|Allows you to throw fireballs that cause other karts to spin out of control for a short time (1/3 of a Banana Peel)|
|Gives your kart a tail that can be used to deflect items and knock over opponents. It is helpful to grab out of reach Coins.|
|Surrounds your cart with 7 usable items. These include a Red Shell, a Green Shell, a Banana Peel, a Bob-omb, a Star, a Blooper and a Mushroom. All of which will be used when you press X or L when the item is in front of your car and CPU-racers can also hit them, with the effects working for them.|
Tracks and courses
Just like it's predecessors, Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 7 has 8 Cups and 32 courses: 16 new tracks and 16 remakes from previous games' tracks. Italics denote course name in PAL version.
|Mushroom Cup||Flower Cup||Star Cup||Special Cup|
|Toad Circuit||Wuhu Loop|
Wuhu Island Loop
also in Mario Kart 8
|Daisy Hills||Mario Circuit||Wario Shipyard|
|Rosalina's Ice World|
|Cheep Cheep Lagoon|
Cheep Cheep Cape
also in Mario Kart 8
|Neo Bowser City|
also in Mario Kart 8
|Shy Guy Bazaar||Rock Rock Mountain|
Wuhu Mountain Loop
|Honeybee Hive||GBA Battle Course 1|
|Sherbet Rink||N64 Big Donut|
| Wuhu Town|
also in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
|DS Palm Shore|
Grand Prix Points System
In Grand Prix, the player selects an Engine Class and a cup to race. Each cup, as shown above, contains four courses that are played in order. After each individual race, the place in which the racer comes is translated into a number of points to go to the racer's total. At the end of the cup, the points are cumulatively tallied, and whichever racer has the most, second most, and third most points wins a gold, silver, or bronze trophy, respectively. Below is a table showing the amount of points garnered for coming in a certain place in a race.
|Finishing Place||Points Received|
- For this subject's image gallery, see Gallery:Mario Kart 7.
- When you get a Lucky Seven with the items set to either Shells only, Bananas only, or Mushrooms only, you will get seven Red/Green Shells, Bananas, or Mushrooms surrounding your kart respectively. This also works with the items set to Bob-ombs only.
- This is the only Mario Kart game in the series by far where Wario is an unlockable character.
- This is the only Mario Kart game after Mario Kart 64 that has no VS mode in Single Player. However, you can get it while in Local Multiplayer.
- All items introduced in Mario Kart 7 were removed in Mario Kart 8, except for the Fire Flower.
- Additionally, the Lucky 7 is replaced with the Crazy 8 in said game which fills the role for the Lucky 7.
- Waluigi was going to be a playable racer but was replaced by Honey Queen in the final version.
- Additionally, Toadette was going to be a playable racer but was replaced by Wiggler in the final version.
- None of the “partners” from Mario Kart Double Dash!! return in this game (despite the fact that Waluigi and Toadette were initially planned to return). The only two that returned are Luigi and Daisy (the former of which is a starter and the latter of which is unlockable). Only the main team members from that game make a return in this game. The two pairs that are completely absent from this game are Baby Mario and Baby Luigi and Petey Piranha and King Boo.
|Mario Kart games|
|Main Titles||Super Mario Kart • Mario Kart 64 • Mario Kart: Super Circuit •|
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! • Mario Kart DS • Mario Kart Wii • Mario Kart 7 • Mario Kart 8 • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
|Arcade Titles||Mario Kart Arcade GP • Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 • Mario Kart Arcade GP DX • Mario Kart Arcade GP VR|