In Mario Kart Wii, Grumble Volcano has two staff ghosts; one has a time of 02:28.237 and uses Dry Bowser on the Offroader, and the other is unlockable by getting a time of 02:22.856 or faster, and has a time of 02:11.852 with Dry Bowser on the Spear.
It is a track surrounded by massive rocks with (?) blocks and bricks and volcanoes. It is also one of the two tracks to have Fire Snakes as hazards (the other one being DS Desert Hills.) The track's layout is going around a Volcano. During the second lap, the track starts to fall apart, and by the last lap, there is barely any track left. Most of the track will fall into lava and gets very tricky.
There are Fireballs shot from the volcano and Fire Snakes emerging from warp pipes. Moving plates also appear. You go inside part of the volcano for part of the course. This track features many "forks in the road" (there are two places where the path splits but then meets back up again) and two substantial optional jumps.
This track is oddly very similar to Bowser's Castles, in both music selection and track layout. There is a well-known ultra-shortcut which allows you to complete the race in under a minute. If you can get up to the rock, on the left of the starting line, and drive around it three times, it completes the race.
Grumble Volcano returns as the third track of the Lightning Cup. This course, like all other courses, has better shading and graphics. Also, Morton Construction has now taken over the volcano, with blocks and signs posted near the entrance. There is now a gliding pad after the cave and the cliff above the last dash to the finish line. The popular shortcut from Mario Kart Wii now doesn't work anymore.
- Use a Mushroom to cut through the rough terrain as soon as one enters the cave. ✱ for all games
- A Mushroom can be used to cut through a turn on the right path at the end of the track after around 1:52 on Mario Kart Wii and 1:47 on Mario Kart 8. ✱ for all games
- At the beginning of a race (In Time Trials) use a mushroom to speed up on the rock at the starting line, drive around it three times. ✱ for MKW
- Use a Mushroom and ride the rock in the middle of the track to hop on the other side. (the rock in the middle falls at 1:35) ✱ for MKW
- Use a Mushroom before the rock in the middle to hit the wall on the other side to respawn on the other side. ✱ for MKW
- This is the only course in the whole Mario Kart series with lava in that isn't named after Bowser.
Dry Dry Ruins
3DS Piranha Plant Slide
Recently reappeared in:
Mario Kart 8
N64 Rainbow Road