Dry Bones is Koopa Troopa's skeleton, a newcomer to the Mario Kart scene, after appearing as Mario's enemy in his many previous adventures. He has appeared in Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii as an unlockable driver, and as a Starter Character in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, he was confirmed in the reveal trailer for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. He usually adds a great handling, acceleration, and mini-turbo boost to his Karts, but as a consequence, they have low top speeds.
Dry Bones is the dead version of Koopa Troopa. He is most likely a skeleton because he fell in lava, because he only appears in Bowser Castle's in Super Mario Bros. games. But anyway, he has the same shape as Koopa Troopa, but is a white/ grayish color, due to all his bones. He wears white gloves and boots. Very fashionable, right? His shell is all pale and cracked up, and his torso is his rib cage. He also has sharp teeth, and instead of white, lively eyes, he has gaping black eyes with yellow pupils. Ohh, scary. Outside of the Mario Kart series, a variation called "Parabones" can be seen, it's a Dry Bones, but with wings, this variation only appears in 3D games, the normal and winged Dry Bones never appear in the same games besides Super Mario Maker.
- Banisher - One of Dry Bones's starting karts. It looks to be made of Dry Bones bones and has a huge Dry Bones skull in the front. It has great acceleration, handling, and items, but is notorious for having the lowest top speed in the game.
- Standard DB - Dry Bones's standard kart, a compromise between his unique karts.
- Dry Bomber - Dry Bones's unlockable kart. The Dry Bomber looks like a tank. It has the highest acceleration, off-road, and handling in the game and the longest mini-turbos in the game. It also has low drift; all of these attributes make the Dry Bomber an ideal kart for snaking with.
As a Staff Ghost
Dry Bones makes an return in Mario Kart Wii as a lightweight character. His sound effects have been enhanced to simulate light squeaking noises mixed in with his bone cluttering. To unlock him in this game, players must receive a gold trophy in the 100cc Leaf Cup or play in 1,050 races.
As a Staff Ghost
■ DS Desert Hills
- Normal: Nin★CHIA - 02:10.233
- Expert: Nin★solami - 01:52.686
Dry Bones makes a triumph return in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, he is also a starter character, making his first starter appearance in any Mario Kart game, his color scheme (Once again) has been changed, this time to a gray-purple like color. His weight class is lightweight, just like in Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii. He is also the staff ghost of Bone Dry Dunes on 200cc time trials.
- While Dry Bones doesn't appear as a playable character in Mario Kart 8, Dry Bones appear as obstacles in Bone-Dry Dunes. Dry Bones (as a playable character) returns in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and the bone Dry Bones are still there in Bone-Dry Dunes, it's like a paradox.
|Mario Kart DS characters|
|Light||Toad • Peach • Yoshi • Dry Bones • Shy Guy|
|Medium||Mario • Luigi • Daisy • Waluigi|
|Heavy||Wario • Donkey Kong • Bowser • R.O.B.|
|Mario Kart Wii characters|
|Small||Baby Mario • Baby Luigi • Baby Peach • Baby Daisy • Toad • Toadette • Koopa Troopa • Dry Bones|
|Medium||Mario • Luigi • Peach • Daisy • Yoshi • Birdo • Diddy Kong • Bowser Jr.|
|Large||Wario • Waluigi • Donkey Kong • Bowser • King Boo • Rosalina • Funky Kong • Dry Bowser|
|Mario Kart 8 / Deluxe characters|
|Light||Baby Mario • Baby Luigi • Baby Peach • Baby Daisy • Baby Rosalina • Toad • Toadette • Koopa Troopa • Shy Guy • Lakitu • Larry Koopa • Wendy O. Koopa • Lemmy Koopa • Isabelle+ • Villager+ • Dry Bones* • Bowser Jr.*|
|Medium||Mario • Luigi • Peach • Daisy • Yoshi • Ludwig von Koopa • Iggy Koopa • Tanooki Mario+ • Cat Peach+ • Inklings*|
|Heavy||Wario • Waluigi • Donkey Kong • Rosalina • Bowser • Roy Koopa • Morton Koopa Jr. • Metal Mario • Pink Gold Peach • Link+ • Dry Bowser+ • King Boo* • Gold Mario*|
|+ - denotes DLC. • * - denotes exclusivity to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.|