Birdo is a starter character in Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and an unlockable character in Mario Kart Wii. Birdo can be unlocked by playing Time Trials on 16 different courses at least once, playing 250 VS matches in online games, or playing 1,350 unique races.
Birdo looks somewhat like Yoshi, but there are some differences. For one, Birdo is pink in color, she has a white chest and on her left hand, she shows off a diamond ring. She has red spikes going along her back and tail. She has a large, open mouth and eyelashes, unlike Yoshi (it would be strange if Yoshi had eyelashes, considering he's a boy). She also has a big red bow that she wears on the back of her head. You gotta love that bow, you know. Her hands and feet have claws, she has four fingers on each hand and three toes on each foot, she also has white pads on the plant of her feet.
- Turbo Birdo
- Standard Kart M
- Classic Dragster
- Wild Wing
- Super Blooper
- Standard Bike M
- Mach Bike
- Zip Zip
- Dolphin Dasher
Birdo has been in the Mario series since her debut as a boss in Super Mario Bros. 2, where she would shoot eggs across the stage at the player. However, Birdo was not a common character until her first playable appearance in Mario Tennis on the Nintendo 64. In this game, Birdo had a more feminine voice and could talk normally. Ever since this game, Birdo has been appearing in most Mario spin-off games, mostly the Mario Party series in Mario Party 7, Mario Party 8, and Mario Party 9. She has also appeared in the Mario Golf series and the Mario Tennis series.
Birdo appeared in Mario Kart: Double Dash!! for the Nintendo GameCube and acted as the partner of Yoshi. The two shared a special item, where they would throw a rapidly moving egg (green or pink, depending on the thrower) that would home and bash into others. Petey Piranha and King Boo can also use this special item but only Yoshi Eggs.
Mario Kart Trivia
- The pads of her feet are similiar to Bowser Jr's.
- Birdo is mentioned on the Sunshine Airport intercom.
- Despite not appearing in Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, several Birdos make cameo appearances in the audience. In earlier games before that, Birdos still appeared in the audience but these Birdos were blue.
- Birdos come in a variety of colors, like green, red, and even gray.
- Birdo could have been inspired by the Snowth, a creature in the song "Mahna Mahna" from the Muppets.